>>>Just for fun (aren’t they all?)<<<
- Report to Ft. Sam Houston, TX (near San Antonio), or else.
- You’re in the army now. It is hot.
- Get in line for a quick, short haircut. Now you are presentable.
- Buy uniforms at the uniform shop just outside the gate. Rank goes on the right.
- Don’t irritate the natives.
- Learn to march. Still hot.
- Take a ride in a medevac helicopter and an ambulance truck and visit an aid station setup.
- Go to the shooting range. The bullet comes out the end with the hole. Don’t shoot anybody.
- Immunizations every Friday x4; sick over the weekend.
- Night time compass course in the Hill Country. Neato! Watch out for rattlers! BTW, you have been shot. Come on and get in the truck.
- Graduate, photo, go on leave, get orders.
- Yay, TEXAS!!
<My orders said Vietnam Transient Detatchment, APO San Francisco. I thought my duty station would be in SF maybe doing physicals, etc. When we discovered I would be crossing the international date line my poor mother went batsh*t. I regarded it as an adventure for my time, plus I was not a line officer.